More specifically:

HDFS does not support operations such as opening a file for write/append
after it has already been closed, or seeking to a new location in a writer.
You can only write files linearly; all other operations will return a "not
supported" error.

You'll also find that random-access read performance, while implemented, is
not particularly high-throughput. For serving Xen images even in read-only
mode, you'll likely have much better luck with a different FS.

- Aaron