Brian Bockelman wrote:
I'm not a hardware guy anymore, but I'd personally prefer a software RAID. I've seen mirrored disks go down because the RAID controller decided to puke.

+1 on this. I've seen a number of hardware RAID failures in the last 2 years and in each case the controller mangled the disks before finally giving up the ghost.

I'm very much inclined to prefer software RAID in light of this (and the fact that low-end RAID controllers have poor performance).

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland