Jason, correct me if I am wrong-

opening Sequence file in the configure (or setup method in 0.20) and writing
to it is same as doing output.collect( ), unless you mean I should make the
sequence file writer static variable and set reuse jvm flag to -1. In that
case the subsequent mappers might be run in the same JVM and they can use
the same writer and hence produce one file. But in that case I need to add a
hook to close the writer - may be use the shutdown hook.

Jothi, the idea of combine input format is good. But I guess I have to write
somethign of my own to make it work in my case.

Thanks guys for the suggestions... but I feel we should have some support
from the framework to merge the output of mapper only job so that we don't
get a lot number of smaller files. Sometimes you just don't want to run
reducers and unnecessarily transfer a whole lot of data across the network.

Thanks,
Tarandeep