Did you run the dfs put commands from the master node?  If you're inserting
into HDFS from a machine running a DataNode, the local datanode will always
be chosen as one of the three replica targets. For more balanced loading,
you should use an off-cluster machine as the point of origin.

If you experience uneven block distribution, you should also periodically
rebalance your cluster by running bin/start-balancer.sh every so often. It
will work in the background to move blocks from heavily-laden nodes to
underutilized ones.

- Aaron