On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM, pmg <parmod.me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the sake of simplification I have simplified my input into two files 1.
> FileA 2. FileB
>
> As I said earlier I want to compare every record of FileA against every
> record in FileB I know this is n2 but this is the process. I wrote a simple
> InputFormat and RecordReader. It seems each file is read serially one after
> another. How can my record read have reference to both files at the same
> line so that I can create cross list of FileA and FileB for the mapper.
>
> Basically the way I see is to get mapper one record from FileA and all
> records from FileB so that mapper can compare n2 and forward them to
> reducer.

It will be hard (and inefficient) to do this in Mapper using some custom
intput format. What you can do is use Semi Join technique-

Since File A is smaller, run a map reduce job that will output key,value
pair where key is the field or set of fields on which you want to do the
comparison and value is the whole line.

The reducer is simply an Identity reducer which writes the files. So your
fileA has been partitioned on the field(s). you can also create bloom filter
on this field and store it in Distributed Cache.

Now read FileB, load Bloom filter into memory and see if the field from line
of FileB is present in Bloom filter, if yes emit Key,Value pair else not.

At reducers, you get the contents of FileB partitioned just like contents of
fileA were partitioned and at a particular reducer you get lines sorted on
the field you want to do the comparison, At this point you read the contents
of FileA that reached this reducer and since its contents were sorted as
well, you can quickly go over the two lists.

-Tarandeep