From: ext Steve Loughran [mailto:ste...@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 5:36 AM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Name Node HA (HADOOP-4539)

Andrew Wharton wrote:

> I am curious about the state of this fix. It is listed as
> "Incompatible", but is resolved and committed (according to the
> comments). Is the backup name node going to make it into 0.21? Will it
> remove the SPOF for HDFS? And if so, what is the proposed release
> timeline for 0.21?

The way to deal with HA -which the BackupNode doesn't promise- is to get
involved in developing and testing the leading edge source tree.

The 0.21 cutoff is approaching, BackupNode is in there, but it needs a
lot more tests. If you want to aid the development, helping to get more
automated BackupNode tests in there (indeed, tests that simulate more
complex NN failures, like a corrupt EditLog) would go a long way.

-steve