To be more accurate, once you have HADOOP-4346,

fds for epoll and pipes = 3 * threads blocked on Hadoop I/O

Unless you have hundreds of threads at a time, you should not see hundreds of these. These fds stay up to 10sec even after the
threads exit.

I am a bit confused about your exact situation. Please check number of threads if you still facing the problem.

Raghu.

Raghu Angadi wrote:

since you have HADOOP-4346, you should not have excessive epoll/pipe fds open. First of all do you still have the problem? If yes, how many hadoop streams do you have at a time?

System.gc() won't help if you have HADOOP-4346.

Ragu.

Thanks for your opinion!