Thanks for sharing that background, Nick.

Instead, the main step which has been taken (driven in no small part
by the Python 3 transition) is the creation of PyPI counterparts for
modules that see substantial updates that are backwards compatible
with earlier versions (importlib2, for example, lets you use the
Python 3 import system in Python 2).

So is the intention that, over the long term, these PyPI counterparts would
cannibalize their standard library equivalents in terms of usage?

Nick
​