On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 11:28 Elvis Pranskevichus <elpr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:09:33 PM EDT Oleg Broytman wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 05:58:38PM +0000, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org>
> wrote:

> > > I guess so. No one has ever suggested it before or bothered to set
> > > it up to show how it would work. :)
> >
> >    GH Pages don't need much to setup. You have to choose between Org
> > Pages (at the root of the subdomain) and Repo Pages (in
> > subdirectories). I even believe GH Pages can do both on the same
> > subdomain but I've never tried.
>
> GH Pages support custom domain redirects [1].  "setup" in this case
> is putting together scripts to automate sphinx runs and the git push
> of the compiled output to the appropriate repo/branch.

So we would have to either set up another repo or commit the rendered files
to the repo?

>   If there's
> interest in pursuing this option, I can help with setting things up.

I assume we would lose the widget Read the Docs provides which is handy for
getting to the GitHub page for editing the content? I guess we lose
anything else that https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/features.html
 lists.

I'm just trying to think of what we gain/lose if we switch to GH Pages over
RTFD as I don't want to end up with three different documentation hosting
solutions sort of like we have now where we build the devguide, PEPs, and
the docs themselves in special ways that all happen to be hosted on PSF
infrastructure (e.g. getting Pygments installed for the PEPs has stalled
out and it would be good that any solution we choose be flexible enough to
handle this kind of situation:
https://github.com/python/peps/pull/229/files/70c6c1d010c1d50a375430c4ba6ae3e4f439306c#r107471836
).