Thanks for all the inputs.

I've chatted with Brett at the sprint about this, and this is our current
thinking:
- We will go with cla-assistant, hosted by them.
- We will keep daily backups of signed CLA ( a list of GitHub usernames of
people who have signed the CLA )
- We will keep daily backups of cla-assistant's source code

I understand that people are worried about the possibility that the service
suddenly go away without notice.
I'm personally not too worried about it, but having a daily backups of both
data and source code should keep us covered.
With the backups, if the service go away suddenly one day, we can spin up
our own version of it.
In addition, the code for the-knights-who-say-ni will be made read-only and
not deleted, and it can be re-activated.

The reason I don't want to host our own cla-assistant is to reduce our
burden of having to maintain it, keeping the server alive, updating the
running service and the code every once in a while.
And by "us", I actually mean the PSF infrastructure team, Brett, and myself
who are volunteering to keep the CLA bot service up and running.

For me, the sooner we can get cla-assistant set up, the easier all our life
is going to be.

So these are the things I plan to do today:
- contact Ernest about getting daily backups in place
- create the gist of the CLA, and have Van L review it
- obtain an export of signed CLA from bpo as of today

Mariatta

ᐧ