Peter Stuge wrote:
On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:45:08AM +0100, Torsten Duwe wrote:
I cannot think of a good use a payload can make of a serial port
other than console

Some kind of recovery, management, whatever. I can't think of all
uses either, but I certianly do not want to impose an arbitrary limit
like "coreboot only tells you about serial ports that are the
console" - I like the generic serial tag.

Note: There's another patch from Jens Freimann which puts all of the device tree into the cb table. Unlike Patrick's patch, Jens' does not reveil any information like "coreboot is actually using this device in this and that manner". So I think those are two different things.

While I agree we want to export all devices (not only serial ports), I believe that we should also export a given amount of "management information" that can be used by payloads to make a consistent code flow through all stages of our modular design, such as: if you change the baud rate with "lxbios", it should propagate through to grub2 and not be linuxbios specific. For the user, "lxbios" is the firmware setup utility, not the coreboot utility alone.

Not sure whether those two table types should be mixed. Especially in v2. Opinions?

     Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  • http://www.coresystems.de/