> Does that mean it doesn't recognize any other chips on that board? In
> that case, we really are dealing with a missing board enable routine and
> my patch just papers over the bug.
> Do you have another board where the chip fits and where an unpatched
> flashrom recognizes it?

Yes flashrom doesn't recognize these chips (patched and unpatched)
AT-29C020, W29C020C-90B, supported by flashrom
Uniflash recognizes sst29ee010 chip and writes it. Chip is unsupported by
flashrom.
Writing with flashrom would be much more comfortable.

Unfortunately I don't have another board which recognizes this W29C020-12
chip.