On 17.04.2010, at 16:41, Myles Watson <myle...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a reminder to myself in case it is obvious to everyone else:

It seems very difficult to guarantee that the removal/insertion of a print statement has no other effects.

Thanks for sharing this kind of information. This is definitely not obvious and people need to be aware of it.

I have seen similar side effects with printk too which lead to our current printk which evaluates the varargs, even if the maximum log level is below the printk's ...

I printed out the location of a variable, and that changed where it was stored (from a register to being placed on the stack)...

This might not be a traditional "side effect", but it changed the behavior of the code and surprised me.

In which way was the behavior changed? Anything we can watch out for?

Stefan