On 12/15/2010 09:10 AM, Patrick Georgi wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010, um 14:36:51 schrieb Joseph Smith:
Hmm, still a little confused what you mean here. So your patch just
reworks the code to handle all binary blobs the same???
It provides an easier way to add binary components.
Right now we add them to Kconfig and have common code that switches based on
these Kconfig flags in src/arch/x86/Makefile.inc.
With this patch, if a chipset component requires some binary, it can add that
binary to the build easily without having to touch global code.

Ok, so does it just search for the file names and if found adds them to the build?

src/arch/x86/Makefile.inc contains code for MBI, which is (as far as I can see)
specific to a single chipset. That simply doesn't belong in there, but so far
there is no other way to do it.

Oh no, the MBI code can work with all Intel chipsets with tv-out and lvds capabilities (whether internal or external). Currently only i945/ICH7 and i830/ICH4 use it...and another one is coming soon :-)

Future chipsets will require more of that rather than less. The growing use of
embedded controllers, even in desktop chipsets, also plays a part in this.

Agreed.

What this patch doesn't do is to rewire our existing binary component handling
to use the new framework.
Ok good.

Acked-by: Joseph Smith <j...@settoplinux.org>

That's a separate step.

Hmm, I think the "separate step" will require some major testing.... I really do not want MBI to get broken.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith