hands on to learn.

Does there happen to be a list of vendors that are more friendly than Intel to work with? I'll keep looking around to see if I can find something that fits into my above criteria and isn't running the intel Nehalem/Westmere processors.

Thanks

On 2018-12-11 04:29, Nico Huber wrote:

Hello Ed,

> I just started looking into adding support for the dell r610.

I really don't want to discourage you, but if I'm looking at the correct
datasheet, this machine is using Nehalem/Westmere EP processors (e.g.
Xeon X5550 etc.). If that is the case, this is no project suited for a
coreboot beginner: It's unlikely that Intel would give out any useful
documentation about these processors and there is no platform alike
(i.e. with QPI) in coreboot. Reverse engineering is possible, but as a
spare-time project this could take years.

Maybe you can find another system that fits your workloads and already
has some coreboot chipset support. Though, on the Intel server front
it's not looking very good. Intel fought hard to keep these platforms
coreboot free.

Nico