On 12/30/18 4:22 AM, Kumonie Williams wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Kumonie,

> Upon further inspection, I cannot find any reference to the SERVICE_MODE
> jumper on Dell's website, only the two you mentioned, RTCRST and PSWD.
> It appears it may only be present on the mid tower form factor model of
> the Dell OptiPlex 7010, on which, it is directly under the PCI-e x16
> (wired as x4) slot, to the left of INT_USB. A photo with the jumper
> circled in yellow has been made available for clarity
> here: https://imgur.com/a/Bn0yuin

My board definitely looks different in area of SPI flashes. It seems
like Dell OptiPlex 7010 had various little bit different designs -
service mode jumper [1] and different PCB layout around SPI flashes [2].

There is seem to be different revisions of this mainboard.

> I heard from a post on a public forum
> (https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-PSA-Dell-Service-Mode-jumper-on-Optiplex-machines)
> that the service mode jumper would allow you to use an "auxiliary BIOS"
> in case the "BIOS flash" (assumed they meant the chip with the firmware
> on it) was damaged, however, after Jeremy's comment on the matter, I
> believe either that post was incorrect, or the "auxiliary" BIOS is on a
> different region of the same chip.

It looks like much better explanation is on win-raid forum [3], but
thread is pretty long and I didn't digest all information there.

I'm still looks for advise how this SPI was flashed, I suspect internal
programmer since both paths on gerrit have 12MB and SPI1_1 has just 4MB.
Also it looks like doesn't contain full BIOS but just part of it. For
those interested in helping binary from SPI1_1 [4].

[1]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsA6eeQFfaw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
[2]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsA7zX3FxzT/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet