On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:24:38PM +0100, Nico Huber wrote:
I'm not sure if I quite follow. You mean the locking that prevents you
from installing a retrofitted coreboot? That's not a lock that prevents
malware from anything (because of existing exploits). There are ways to
install coreboot on such systems without external programmer. It's just
sometimes a very uncomfortable, hacky way and if it fails you'll need an
external programmer anyway. But nothing is too uncomfortable for crimi-
nals. They just have to figure it out once and then profit per every-
body's unit (not just there own unit).

I see, this explains a lot and goes a long way to resolving the original issue ("installing Coreboot makes me less secure because it enables software reflashing").

[Coreboot] offers only
locking options that make sense in certain use cases.

Most of the locking options that have been discussed in this thread so far are rather hacky (often requiring writing new code) and not part of any Coreboot or related (e.g SeaBIOS) software package.

For Coreboot and related packages, you previously mentioned LOCK_SPI_FLASH_RO and some unspecified locking options in the FILO payload. Are there any others?