If we're going to talk about wasted lines consider this:
we mandate comments as follows:
/*
 * something
 */

I just did a test and we have something like 40K lines of white space
spent on that dangling */.

We've got something like 30K if not followed by {

So, were we to to get away from the comments with "wings" (as some
kernel people once called them) we could save all those lines
with just a /* or */ on them. This would more than make up for
additional white lines added by a dangling {.

I note that the changing our comment style would have zero impact on
code safety. The improvement of requiring a { on the ifs is known to
have positive impact; it's why Rust and Go both require it to my
understanding.

As for "the kernel" and its coding style, we are going to increasingly
see people coming from worlds where "the kernel" and its coding style
matter less and less. Maybe adherence to "the kernel" coding style
mattered ten years ago; I don't think it is as important now. In my
case, increasingly, "the kernel" coding style is looking a bit dated.