I'd like to open discussion on a revamp of the text on the main coreboot.org
Web site.  I had a brief discussion on IRC recently with some basic agreement
from a couple of people that the text on that page has likely bitrotted enough
compared to the current status and goals of coreboot to no longer be useful.

I bring this up due to confusion in less technical circles that I've been
having to correct over the past week or so.  Specifically, these statements
taken in isolation:

"Fast, secure and flexible OpenSource firmware"

"coreboot is an extended firmware platform that delivers a lightning fast and
secure boot experience on modern computers and embedded systems. As an Open
Source project it provides auditability and maximum control over technology."

present a very different picture than the reality of the project at the moment
for modern platforms.  If people are not aware of the ME, PSP, AGESA, FSP,
BinaryPI, and a host of other proprietary components, they naturally take the
statements above at face value and assume that installing coreboot on their
machine (or paying for coreboot support for their system) allows them to
replace the entire proprietary firmware with an auditable, fast, secure
OpenSource firmware.  As those of us dealing with the reality of modern x86 and
ARM platforms understand more fully, this could not be farther from the truth.

One of the problems as I see it is that coreboot is really two different
projects with two different goals right now, under the same label.  One is the
native init project, which at the moment is only viable for RISC-V, POWER, and
certain ARM SoCs.  The other is the open glue project for vendor binaries,
which is not well understood at this time among much of the open source
community, but seems to have significant support from vendors like Google,
Intel, and AMD.

Complicating matters, the trademark "coreboot" is currently known to some
members of the public as a trusted (albeit limited in compatibility) fully open
source replacement for their exiting board level firmware.  When the word
"coreboot" is used, very few people think of the glue project.  Do we want to
dilute / shift the coreboot trademark / branding to the glue part of the
project, or do we want to somehow reserve "coreboot" for the native init part
of the project?  I don't have an answer here, I'm just trying to state the
facts as I currently see them for further discussion.

I would propose the following changes, and welcome discussion on these topics:

The heading could read something like "Flexible, open source frameworks for
system firmware"

and the detailed description could read "coreboot is an extensible firmware
platform that aims to provide a minimal boot environment for modern computers
and embedded systems.  As an Open Source project it provides a flexible
framework for insertion of vendor specific firmware modules, and on open ISA
platforms aims to provide a fully open, auditable boot process with maximum
control over the technology."

Thoughts?

--
Timothy Pearson