Hi Andy,

Intel Firmware Descriptor is a 4KB big binary structure that describes
the layout of the SPI flash in the Intel firmware. Besides the layout it
contains various straps for CPU and chipset configuration which is
sampled at power-on.

There is nothing to worry about the lack of IFD. You may still flash the
coreboot on your laptop, but you have to remember to leave the IFD
region (and ME region too) untouched. If you are using flashrom,
you should pass the "--ifd -i bios" options to the flashrom command when
flashing. It will instruct flashrom to overwrite the BIOS region only in
flash, where coreboot is supposed to be placed.

You may always extract the IFD for the original firmware of your laptop
and include it in your coreboot build. Creating own IFD is not recommended.

Best regards,

--
Michał Żygowski
Firmware Engineer