Julius Werner wrote:
> > Having an undocumented (or silently installed, therefore unexpected)
> > dependency is undesirable (especially for a firmware), no question
> > about that.
>
> Sorry, I still get the impression that there is a fundamental
> misunderstanding about what Git submodules are here.

I know how submodules work, I believe Nico too. I also know the
internal git data model very well.

For me this isn't really a matter of automation or trust but simply
one of avoiding complexity where it isn't mandated.

> It's source code that comes cryptographically guaranteed

Sure, but more source code and in particular across more repositories
is a lot more complexity than less source code in a single repository.

I appreciate that my concern, if pointedly articulated, was considered
and found to be valid. I don't believe that it's very complex to find a
good solution, but you can maybe understand that I think it unfair that
you invite me to provide the remedy for a problem that I didn't create.

Let's see how it goes.

> the Git SHA of the submodule HEAD is stored in the main coreboot repo.

My argument is solely on complexity, but please don't trust that hash too much.

> No, I don't think most people submitting to cbfstool are somehow
> applying some magic unwritten portability standard that vboot is
> lacking to be honest.

The lower common denominator one targets the more effort is required,
and different contributors are likely to trade off differently here,
I think we've all seen corporate contributions favor raw development
speed over everything else in many projects and I guess coreboot has
this happen too from time to time.

> And if they do, and you can tell me what it is, we are happy to
> apply the same standard to vboot going forward.

I think that's a fantastic promise! I also understand and agree
with your request for standardization/documentation, something to
set expectations, that's 100% reasonable.

> I don't think "just write it fully portable" is a reasonable goal
> since clearly we need __attributes__ like ((packed)),

I disagree about packed - I think the argument for (de)serialization
is quite strong - but I understand that this may not be universal,
and it trades development effort for portability.

> libgfxinit

I think that's a fair point as well - that has also tripped me up -
but it's been less severe for me than the hard vboot requirement.

> So I really don't think vboot deserves the award for most
> cumbersome submodule right now.

I can't say that it is - only that it's bothered me for a while.

I'm happy that there's an outlook at least, but obviously I'd rather
not have to fix a problem I didn't cause. Let's see.

Thanks everyone so far

//Peter