On 6/1/21, Angel Pons <th3fan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Branden, list,
>
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 2:10 AM Branden Waldner <scruff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The LTO patches seem to both compile and work/boot for me on the p2b.
>>
>> I built it both on a debian sid x86_64 system and on the gentoo i686
>> setup I currently have for the p2b, both with the coreboot
>> crossgcc-i386 toolchain.
>
> That's great to hear. I hope you didn't need to build crossgcc-i386 on
> the P2B, though! :P

Well, it's got a gentoo install that has to build it's own updates,
including the system compiler, as well as crossgcc-i386. I have to
leave it to run for quite a while to do updates or build a new first
of crossgcc-i386 on it. It's some pretty tough hardware though, it
manages to handle it just fine, even though it is _really_ old  for
computer hardware at this point.

It would probably be a lot faster if I could get a better cpu (w/
proper voltage handling) and the proper ram for it. I do have an ssd
attached via a pci sata adapter (which is a bottleneck), but didn't
really notice much of an improvement.

I guess some people would use (like?) a system like it for retro
gaming/computing, but I've never really found a use for it besides
testing coreboot on it.

>> It looks like it uses the system linker though (or something similiar,
>> I don't remember exactly), at least according to the executable path
>> it shows in the build log. I'm not sure if that's actually what's
>> desired or if I'm just misinterpreting something.
>
> It might be intentional, but it's not desired: using the system
> toolchain to build coreboot will wreak havoc when cross-compiling.

Thankfully, I misunderstood what I was seeing in the logs, it was just
while it was building tools that it was using the system toolchain.
But, it was using LTO settings for them, which I wasn't expecting. I
was assuming it would only use them for actually building the rom, not
the utils, but I guess I don't see why not.

>> It still looks like it needs more test reports yet, though I guess I'm
>> not helping either by not commenting on gerrit.
>
> Yes, it needs more test reports. It would be great if you could
> comment on the Gerrit change, so as to keep all test reports in one
> place.

I'll try to get around to commenting on the Gerrit change set yet.

Branden