On 05.11.21 19:10, ron minnich wrote:
> I'd like to get back to a rating system. There's a really simple
> measure that I've never seen improved upon, namely, for a given
> firmware image, what fraction of the bits in that image come from open
> source code?
>
> e.g., the KGPE-D16 would get a 100%, and a typical laptop would get 0%.
>
> This is a really easy number to compute, automatically, and might even
> be an option to cbfstool or a ROM tool.
>
> Marketing types are sensitive to numbers like this: we could
> prominently display these numbers on coreboot.org

I think it's a good idea. Not what I wanted to discuss though ;)
It would be nice for marketing and end users. But I'm currently much
more concerned with our development experience.

Very often, I see amidst the many patches that bring up a new platform,
a tiny "bomb" that adds support for another kind of blob. When that's
the first time a new kind of blob is mentioned, discussions around it
get very intense quickly and can stall a project that was otherwise
progressing well. Not to mention (mild) attacks on IRC I've seen.

So what I proposed was to give people some guidance how to avoid or
defuse such a "bomb". That could be answering questions in advance,
could be something else.

Nico