Hi Pedro,

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 11:02 PM Pedro Erencia <peren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about porting coreboot to a FM2A88X Extreme4+ board. This board
> has a DIP8 flash with a socket and I wondered what would be the best way to
> do an efficient development cycle. Ideally, I suppose that the best option
> would be to use a clip test and a CH341A, but all the clips that I found are
> SOIC/SOP. Should I buy a SOIC clip and an adapter from SOIC to DIP? I've seen
> those adapters, but I'm not sure if they will fit well in the mobo DIP8
> socket.

I wouldn't recommend a CH341A for the same reasons Nico explained, and
would suggest the same alternatives.

I've done a lot of development on the Asrock B85M Pro4 (a completely
different board, but also has a socketed DIP8 flash chip) and, for me,
the most efficient development cycle is to use a flash emulator like
the Dediprog EM100. However, flash emulators aren't cheap. Before I
had the EM100, I simply moved the flash chip back and forth by hand,
from the mainboard to a breadboard wired to a CJMCU FT2232HL mini
module (external programmer) and viceversa. I added another DIP8
socket between the flash chip and the mainboard's socket, so that I
could easily and quickly remove and replace the flash chip.

> Aside from the mechanical question, I'd appreciate any advice about the
> safety of externally programming the board. I don't have the schematics and I
> wonder if there could be any risk of damaging the board.

If you remove the flash chip from the mainboard to reflash it, it's
practically impossible to damage the board.