From: Paul Menzel <pmen...@molgen.mpg.de>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 10:06 AM
To: coreboot@coreboot.org
Subject: [coreboot] Gerrit shows a Merge Conflict (was: Re: Denverton-NS
refactoring)

Caution: This is an external email. Please take care when clicking links or
opening attachments.

Dear Jeff,

Am 12.01.22 um 15:49 schrieb Jeff Daly:
> Ok, so what I've figured out is that it seems gerrit doesn't like it
> when the code gets refactored.  I have several commits that are
> showing merge conflicts but the files that have conflicts are because
> a lot of code changes between them as things get refactored.  Entire
> blocks of code in some files are removed, some files are just
> completely replaced with newer files that have the correct content in
> them.  I'd hate to have to do something dumb like rename the files
> that have too many changes for gerrit/git to figure out. CB:61015 is a
> perfect example.  Soc/intel/denverton_ns/soc_util.c was changed to
> delete functions from colliding with others in the SoC common code (or
> were just plain unnecessary).  The change deletes get_tseg_memory(),
> get_top_of_low_memory(), get_top_of_upper_memory().  No other changes
> other than deletions and I'm getting a merge conflict.  Either I'm
> dumb or something else is
> dumb.   (and I have been dumb before, so maybe it's me but this one
> seems kinda obvious unless there's some setting someplace that
> complains when there's more than a few lines difference).

It is my understanding, that Gerrit displays *Merge Conflict* on a change-set,
if the change-set itself cannot be directly be cherry-picked on top of the
master branch. So, everything is fine with your change-set, and to be applied
to the master branch, the parent changes (from your branch) need to be applied
first.

Kind regards,

Paul