Karl,

On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 16:06 -0400, Karl Semich wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> >  I think we all agree that it'd be good to have test racks that have all of
> > the boards in the coreboot repository for verification, however that's
> > currently not practical with the resources we have.  The whole thing just
> > isn't a simple problem to solve.
>
> Often the biggest impediment to something like this is simply holding it as a
> shared goal, and continuing to do so when issues arise.
>
> If public test labs were desired, a callout for donations of space and
> hardware could be placed on the main page. If somebody had the capacity to do
> more than that, then local makerspaces and hackerspaces could be reached out
> to.
>
> > I'm actually also not completely convinced that just testing the boards is
> > the solution to whether or not we keep a board/chip on the mastre branch.
> > If there really aren't any people using coreboot on their quark boards, then
> > personally, I don't see any need to keep it in the master branch.  I know
> > others feel differently, but as I said earlier in this thread, I don't think
> > there's actually any harm in moving an aging or little-used platform to be
> > maintained on a branch.
>
> Sounds like there is a difference of opinion in the community.
>
> It seems obvious to me that there would be people using coreboot on their
> quark boards. The world is gigantic.

Possible. However, if that is the case, why don't they show their interest in
this discussion? Yeah, I know, next arguments will be "but maybe they don't know
about the ML", "maybe they don't have time", maybe this, maybe that.

Once again, nobody is talking about deleting the platform or make it unusable.
Actually, moving it to a branch is the exact opposite to that - preserve a
*hopefully* working state, while still taking maintaince work from
***VOLUNTEERS***.

It's always the same... people making demands (like test labs, maintenance,
etc.) and when you ask them to do the job they refuse... well, ...

Don't get me wrong, please. The idea of having test labs is great! However, it
costs money, like Martin already noted. Also, testing is not the solution for
all problems. Someone needs to maintain the platform.