Yes, *this is* the solution I was looking for!

tee -p </dev/zero >(head -c1 | wc -c ) > >(head -c10M | wc -c)

Thanks to everybody to take part in the discussion and finally coming up
with the solution.

Could we please add this example to tee's manual page into the EXAMPLE
section? If there is anything I can do to make it happen please let me
know.

Thanks a lot!
Jirka