*The 5th Financial Narrative Processing Workshop (FNP 2023)*

To be held at the 2023 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE
BigData 2023), Sorrento, Italy, from 15 to 18 December 2023.
FNP 2023: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/fnp2023/

*Submission page:*
https://wi-lab.com/cyberchair/2023/bigdata23/scripts/submit.php?subarea=S14&undisplay_detail=1&wh=/cyberchair/2023/bigdata23/scripts/ws_submit.php

*Important Dates:*
1st Call for workshop papers: June 1, 2023
2nd Call for workshop papers: August 15, 2023
Final Call for workshop papers: October 1, 2023
Due date for workshop papers submission: October 30, 2023 (anywhere in the
world)
Notification of paper acceptance to authors: November 12, 2023
Camera-ready of accepted papers: November 20, 2023
Workshop date:  1 day event: December 15-18, 2023 (exact date to be
announced)
Other dates for shared tasks will be advertised separately

*Workshop Description:*Financial narrative processing is an emerging field
that combines natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML)
techniques to extract, summarise, and analyse both qualitative and
quantitative financial data.
As the amount of financial data continues to grow exponentially, this data
is increasingly considered as big data, which presents challenges and
opportunities for data scientists.

The 5th Financial Narrative Processing Workshop (FNP 2023) aims to bring
together researchers and industry practitioners to share their latest
research results and practical experiences in financial narrative
processing, which is a key aspect of big data.
In particular, the workshop will focus on three shared tasks: Financial
Narrative Summarization, Financial Table of Content Extraction, and
Financial Causality Detection.
These tasks will challenge participants to apply state-of-the-art
techniques in NLP and ML to extract meaningful insights from financial
documents.
The workshop will provide an informal and vibrant forum for discussion and
collaboration, with the goal of advancing the field of financial narrative
processing within the context of big data.
We welcome submissions from researchers and practitioners in academia and
industry.

FNP 2023 workshop is organised by a team of experts who have been at the
forefront of financial NLP research for the past five years.
We have organised more than 7 international events, introduced NLP and AI
shared tasks, and provided big datasets and methodologies needed to push
forward the emerging field of financial NLP.
Our workshop series has contributed significantly to the field of financial
NLP, as evidenced by our proceedings on ACL anthology and citations in
Google Scholar.

*Previous Proceedings:*All FNP proceedings across the years are on ACL
Anthology: https://aclanthology.org/venues/fnp/.
The 1st FNP was associated with LREC 2018
http://lrec-conf.org/workshops/lrec2018/W27/pdf/book_of_proceedings.pdf
FNP Google Scholar:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=8Qn7yJ8AAAAJ

*Motivation:*Financial narrative disclosures represent a significant
portion of firms’ overall financial communications with investors.
Textual commentaries help to clarify issues that may be obscured by complex
accounting methods and footnote disclosures.
In addition, narratives summarise corporate strategy, contextualise
results, explain governance arrangements, describe corporate social
responsibility policy, and provide forward-looking information for
investors.
However, financial narratives may also provide management with an
opportunity to obfuscate accounting results and manipulate readers’
perceptions of underlying economic performance.

In a previous FNP workshop, we organised a panel of experts to discuss the
future of Financial NLP and data leaders from AI firms in France and London.
The consensus was that financial data has increased exponentially in recent
years due to the increase in regulations.
This has led to an increase in the number of financial news surrounding the
events of releasing such disclosures.
Therefore, state-of-the-art methodologies are necessary to understand and
analyse huge and sensitive financial data in a short amount of time.

We believe that the FNP 2023 workshop will continue to contribute to the
field of Financial NLP by providing a platform for researchers and industry
practitioners to share their research results and practical development
experiences in Big Data research, development, and practice.
In addition, our workshop will help participants gain a better
understanding of the challenges posed by big data and its 5 V’s (velocity,
volume, value, variety, and veracity) in financial text analysis.

*Topics of Interest in relation to Financial NLP:*We encourage research on
topics related to analysing financial narratives using state-of-the-art NLP
techniques, including but not limited to morphological analysis,
disambiguation, tokenization,
part-of-speech tagging, named entity recognition, chunking, parsing,
semantic role labelling, sentiment analysis, document quality, and advanced
readability metrics.
The use of NLP and machine learning in the financial domain has encouraged
studies around gender and ethnicities imbalance, as well as mental health
and well-being research.

Given the focus of the IEEE Big Data 2023 conference, we also encourage
research on under-resourced languages and under-represented financial
markets.
In recent years, FNP has included research on Arabic, Spanish, and
Portuguese financial markets.
Our collaboration with the MultiLing workshop (
http://multiling.iit.demokritos.gr) has highlighted the importance of
summarization across domains and sources that are related to finance (e.g.,
company blogs, product reviews, market briefs, etc.).
This includes financial multilingual and cross-lingual summarization using
single-document summarization, multi-document summarization, summarization
evaluation, headline generation, and cross-domain/cross-topic summarization.

Given the international nature of the event, we particularly welcome FNP
papers reporting non-English and multilingual research, describing the
different regulatory regimes within which companies operate internationally.

*The FNP2023 shared tasks* will be announced separately and are expected to
be:
Financial Narrative Summarisation (FNS 2023)
Financial Table of Content Extraction (FinTOC 2023)
Financial Causality Detection (FinCausal 2023)
For the latest details about the shared tasks please visit:
http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/shared-tasks/

*Call For Papers for the Main Workshop:*
We invite papers describing original, completed or ongoing, unpublished
research in Financial Natural Language Processing and Financial Text
Analysis.
As financial data is increasingly considered as big data, we encourage
submissions that address the five main and innate characteristics of big
data (velocity, volume, value, variety, and veracity) in the context of
financial narrative processing.

We encourage submissions on topics that include, but are not limited to,
the following:

   - Applying core technologies on financial narratives within the context
   of big data: morphological analysis, disambiguation, tokenization,
   part-of-speech tagging, named entity recognition, chunking, parsing,
   semantic role labelling, sentiment analysis, document quality and advanced
   readability metrics, etc.
   - Using NLP to detect misreporting in relation to diversity and
   wellbeing on issues related to gender, ethnicity, women at work as well as
   employee mental health and stability, in the context of big data.
   - Financial narrative resources and tools for managing and analysing
   large-scale financial data.
   - Summarization techniques across domains and sources that are related
   to finance (e.g. company blogs, product reviews, market briefs, etc.), this
   includes financial multilingual and cross-lingual summarization using
   single-document summarization, multi-document summarization, summarization
   evaluation, headline generation, cross-domain/cross-topic summarization.
   - Analysis of Online Social Networks for detection of public opinions
   towards financial events.
   - Multilingual analysis, describing the different regulatory regimes
   within which companies operate internationally.
   - Ongoing research and preliminary results that explore the intersection
   of financial narrative processing and big data.
   - Negative results, for example techniques and methodologies that work
   for certain languages but not on others. Other venues could be showing that
   state-of-the-art technologies such as BERT could fail on certain tasks or
   languages.

All papers accepted will be included in the conference proceedings
published by the IEEE Computer Society Press. We follow IEEE submission
format.
Please submit a full paper (up to 10 page IEEE 2-column format) or short
paper (up to 4 page IEEE 2-column format) through the online submission
system.

*Organising Committee:*
Dr Mo El-Haj, Lancaster University, UK (General Chair)
Dr Houda Bouamor, CMU, Qatar (FNP Program Chair)
Prof Paul Rayson, Lancaster University, UK (FNP Program Chair)
Blanca Carbajo Coronado, UAM, Madrid, Spain (FNP coordinator, Publication
Chair)
Nikiforos Pittaras, NCSR Demokritos (Publicity Chair)
Dr George Giannakopoulos, NCSR Demokritos (FNS Shared Task Organiser)
Dr Marina Litvak, Shamoon Academic College of Engineering (FNS Shared Task
Organiser)
Prof Antonio Moreno Sandoval, UAM, Madrid, Spain (FinCausal Shared Task
Organizer)
Dr Doaa Samy, UAM, Madrid, Spain (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
Dr Juyeon KANG, Fortia Financial Solution (FinTOC Shared Task Organiser)
Dr Ismail El Maarouf, Imprevicible (FinTOC Shared Task Organiser)
--
Best regards,
Marina Litvak