It seems to me that in some way the character-by-character analysis of
language over-specifies the input and at the same time misses the meaning
of the term "language". It makes the assumption that language is bound up
in character strings, and at the same time these character strings
represent all of the communicative message. Such assumptions hardly work
with a corpus of signed languages.

> in the character-by-character way in which I see texts/corpora, you
have clusters of referent, modifiers and links: an rml grammar, which
happens as a way to organize links and frame a bit better the sense of
a phrase. ....