DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Department of Psychology at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT;
www.rit.edu/psychology<http://www.rit.edu/psychology>) invites candidates to
apply for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position starting in August 2024.
We are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic psychologist who will serve as an
instructor, researcher, and mentor to students in our undergraduate
(Psychology, Neuroscience) and graduate programs (Masters in Experimental
Psychology, Ph.D. in Cognitive Science). We are particularly looking to build a
cohort of faculty who can contribute to the interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in
Cognitive Science and contribute to research, mentoring, and teaching using
computational and laboratory methods. Candidates should have expertise in an
area of Cognitive Science such as cognitive or behavioral neuroscience, AI,
computational/psycho-linguistics, cognitive psychology, comparative psychology,
or related areas. We are particularly interested in individuals whose area of
research expertise expands the current expertise of the faculty. Candidates who
can teach courses in natural language processing or computational modeling
courses are especially encouraged to apply.  The Department of Psychology at
RIT serves a rapidly expanding student population at a technical university.
The position requires a strong commitment to teaching and mentoring, active
research and publication, and a strong potential to attract external funding.
Teaching and research are priorities for faculty at RIT, and all faculty are
expected to mentor students through advising, research and in-class
experiences. The successful candidate will be able to teach courses in our
undergraduate cognitive psychology track (Memory & Attention, Language &
Thought, Decision Making, Judgement & Problem Solving), will be expected to
teach research methods/statistics courses at the undergraduate and graduate
level, and teach and mentor students in our graduate programs. In addition,
candidates must be able to do research and work effectively within the
department’s existing lab space. RIT provides many opportunities for
collaborative research across the institute in many diverse disciplines such as
AI, Digital Humanities, Human-Centered Computing, and Cybersecurity.
We are seeking individuals who have the ability and interest in contributing to
a community committed tostudent-centeredness; professional development and
scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation
and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s
core values<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p040>, honor
code<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p030>, and statement of
diversity.<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p050>
THE COLLEGE/ DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Psychology at RIT offers B.S., M.S. degrees, Advanced
Certificates, minors, immersions, electives, and a new interdisciplinary Ph.D.
degree program in Cognitive Science. The B.S. degree provides a general
foundation in psychology with specialized training in one of five tracks:
biopsychology, clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology,
and developmental psychology.  The M.S. degree is in Experimental Psychology,
with an Advanced Certificate offered in Engineering Psychology. We offer
accelerated BS/MS programs with AI, Sustainability, and Experimental
Psychology. The Ph.D. degree is in Cognitive Science and the program is broadly
interdisciplinary with several partner units across the university. We also
offer joint B.S. degrees in Human Centered Computing and Neuroscience.
The College of Liberal Arts is one of nine colleges within Rochester Institute
of Technology. The College has over 150 faculty in 13 departments in the arts,
humanities and social sciences. The College currently offers fourteen
undergraduate degree programs and five Master degrees, serving over 800
students.
THE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and
collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually
curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending
of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a
wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and
an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students.
Beyond our main campus in Rochester, New York, RIT has international campuses
in China, Croatia, Dubai, and Kosovo. And with more than 19,000 students and
more than 125,000 graduates from all 50 states and over 100 nations, RIT is
driving progress in industries and communities around the world. Find out more
at www.rit.edu<http://www.rit.edu/> .
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Have PhD., or PhD. expected by July 1, 2024 in cognitive psychology or
cognitive science related specialty (e.g. linguistics);
  *   Have demonstrated ability to conduct independent research in psychology
or closely related fields;
  *   Have consistently and recently published;
  *   Have demonstrated teaching ability and have taught college courses
independently beyond TA;
  *   Have demonstrated ability to supervise student research;
  *   Demonstrate external research grant attainment potential;
  *   Demonstrate expertise in research and teaching in cognitive science;
  *   Show a career trajectory that emphasizes a balance between teaching and
research;
  *   Show a fit with the Department of Psychology’s general mission, teaching,
research, and resources.
  *   Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing
commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty; search openings, then Keyword
Search 8262BR. Please submit your application, curriculum vitae, cover letter
addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments:

•       A brief teaching philosophy

•       A research statement that includes information about previous grant
work, the potential for future grants, and information about one-on-one
supervision of student research

•       The names, addresses and phone numbers for three references

•       Contribution to Diversity
Statement<https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/facultyrecruitment/forms/Diversity_Statement_Guide_for_candidates_4-12.docx>
You can contact the chair of the search committee, Caroline DeLong, Ph.D. with
questions on the position at: cmd...@rit.edu<mailto:cmd...@rit.edu>.

Review of applications will begin October 1, 2023 and will continue until an
acceptable candidate is found.

RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes
and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion.  For more information or
inquiries, please visit
RIT/TitleIX<https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/c270> or the
U.S. Department of Education at
ED.Gov<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/know.html#:~:text=OCR%20enforces%20several%20Federal%20civil,on%20the%20basis%20of%20age.>

Cecilia O. Alm, Ph.D. She/Her
Joint Program Director, MS in AI, School of Information -
rit.edu/study/artificial-intelligence-ms
Director, AWARE-AI NSF Research Traineeship Program - rit.edu/nrtai/
Associate Director, Center for Human-aware AI - rit.edu/chai/
Director, Computational Linguistics and Speech Processing lab - rit.edu/clasp
Professor, Department of Psychology, CLA, Rochester Institute of Technology
Affiliated with the School of Information, Department of Computer Science,
Ph.D. Program in Computing and Information Sciences, MS Program in Data Science
92 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623
rit.edu/directory/coagla-cecilia-alm
W: 585-475-7327
M: 585-536-7539
coa...@rit.edu<mailto:coa...@rit.edu>
[RIT | Rochester Institute of Technology]<https://www.rit.edu/>
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/AWAREAINRT>  [LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ceciliaoalm/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments
are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message
has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by
reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.