**** We apologize for the multiple copies of this email. In case you are already registered to the next webinar, you do not need to register again. ****

Dear coleague,

We are happy to announce the next webinar in the Language Technology webinar series organized by the HiTZ research center (Basque Center for Language Technology, http://hitz.eus). You can check the videos of previous webinars and the schedule for upcoming webinars here: http://www.hitz.eus/webinars

Next webinar:

 * *Speaker*: Emily M. Bender (University of Washington)
 * *Title*: Meaning making with artificial interlocutors and risks of
   language technology
 * *Date*: Nov 2, 2023, 16:00 CET
 * *Summary*: Humans make sense of language in context, bringing to
   bear their own understanding of the world including their model of
   their interlocutor's understanding of the world. In this talk, I
   will explore various potential risks that arise when we as humans
   bring this sense-making capacity to interactions with artificial
   interlocutors. That is, I will ask what happens in conversations
   where one party has no (or extremely limited) access to meaning and
   all of the interpretative work rests with the other, and briefly
   explore what this entails for the design of language technology.
 * *Bio*: Emily M. Bender is a Professor of Linguistics and an Adjunct
   Professor in the School of Computer Science and the Information
   School at the University of Washington, where she has been on the
   faculty since 2003. Her research interests include multilingual
   grammar engineering, computational semantics, and the societal
   impacts of language technology. In 2022 she was elected as a Fellow
   of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).

 * *Upcoming webinars: * Heng Ji (February 1, 2024)
 * Smaranda Muresan (March 7, 2024)
 * Ralf Schlüter (May 2, 2024)
 * Marco Baroni (June 6, 2024)

Check past and upcoming webinars at the following url: http://www.hitz.eus/webinars If you are interested in participating, please complete this registration form: http://www.hitz.eus/webinar_izenematea

If you cannot attend this seminar, but you want to be informed of the following HiTZ webinars, please complete this registration form instead: http://www.hitz.eus/webinar_info

Best wishes,

HiTZ Zentroa