Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the upcoming 2nd edition of the conference on
"Rational Approaches in Language Science" (RAILS), which will be organized by
the Collaborative Research Center (CRC) 1102 "Information Density and
Linguistic Encoding“ (https://sfb1102.uni-saarland.de/). The central theme of
this conference is (bounded) rational communication, i.e. the idea that
language users continuously strive to optimize their means of communication to
effectively convey their intended messages. Thus, rational communication has
consequences on how recipients encode and remember information, and it also
impacts language variation and change.

RAILS will bring together researchers from various fields investigating how
information dynamics, rational communication and memory interact with language
use, variation, and change. We welcome contributions on (1) how interlocutors
process and update information in diverse situational contexts; (2) how
language use is adapted to certain contexts and intended referents and (3) how
linguistic and conceptual information is stored and maintained in short- and
long-term memory. Ultimately, the goal of the conference is to gain deeper
insights into the complexities of language use and its dynamic nature in
different settings. We invite submissions from researchers across the language
sciences – including speech science, theoretical linguistics, empirical
linguistics, psycholinguistics and neuroscience, computational linguistics, as
well as language development, change and evolution – who apply rational
probabilistic explanations to linguistic phenomena, or bring novel experimental
findings to bear on such accounts.

Submission

We accept submissions for posters and/or talks. Talks are slated for 20 minutes
plus 10 minutes for questions.

Abstracts should be no more than 500 words (Times New Roman size 12, with one
additional page for example, tables, figures and (selected) references). Titles
should be centered at the top of the page, in bold and upper case.

Please ensure the abstract is fully anonymous: authors’ names or affiliations
should not be indicated anywhere in the document or in the metadata.

Important dates

Submissions open: July 8th 2024

Submissions due: Sept 16th 2024

Notification of acceptance: Nov 4th 2024

Registration period: 11th Nov – 16th Dec 2024

Final abstract submission: Dec 2nd 2024

PD Stefania Degaetano-Ortlieb

Assistant Professor / Akademische Rätin
Universität des Saarlandes