The original post is here:
https://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/ukp/ukp_home/jobs_ukp/2021_associate_research_scientist_ml_nlp.en.jsp

Are you passionate about making a difference in the field of mental health
through cutting-edge research in AI and Natural Language Processing? Do you
have a strong background in computer science, data science, or a related field?
If so, we invite you to join our dynamic and interdisciplinary team at the
Technical University of Darmstadt!

Position: Full-Time Research Assistant (i.e., doctoral candidate or PhD student)
Duration: 1.10.2024 or soon afterward - 31.12.2027 with the possibility of
extension.
Location: Department of Computer Science, Technical University of Darmstadt

Responsibilities:
- Conduct cutting-edge research in NLP with a focus on mental health
applications.
- Focus on research topics, such as NLP and knowledge discovery for mental
health, large language models for clinical applications, and multimodal
clinical data analysis.
- Develop and implement algorithms for analyzing therapist-patient
conversations.
- Collaborate with a diverse team of researchers from TU Darmstadt and other
partner institutions.

Ecosystem: We are part of DYNAMIC, the newly approved interdisciplinary
LOEWE-funded center “Dynamic Network Approach of Mental Health to Stimulate
Innovations for Change.” Our mission is to advance the understanding and
treatment of mental health disorders using AI, NLP, and multimodal data
analysis.

Team: Dr. Shaoxiong Ji (https://www.helsinki.fi/~shaoxion/) will join TU
Darmstadt this fall and establish a junior independent research group focusing
on foundation models and their applications, such as healthcare. He has a wide
range of research directions, including NLP for health, multilingual LLMs, and
learning methods such as federated learning, multitask learning, and
meta-learning. The newly established research group will closely collaborate
with the research labs led by Prof. Iryna Gurevych and Prof. Kristian Kersting,
and partners under the umbrella of the DYNAMIC project.

Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, AI, NLP, or a related
field.
- Strong programming skills in Python or other relevant languages.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and a passion for research.
- Previous experience in clinical NLP or multimodal data analysis is a plus but
not required.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a
collaborative environment.

What We Offer:
- An exciting opportunity to contribute to impactful research in mental health.
- A supportive and collaborative research environment.
- Opportunities for professional development and growth within the DYNAMIC
project and beyond.

How to Apply: If you are enthusiastic about joining our team and contributing
to groundbreaking research, please submit the following documents:
- Detailed CV
- Master’s degree certificates and the Bachelor and Master study transcripts
- Cover letter outlining your motivation and relevant experience
- Contact information for at least two academic or professional references

Please send your application to Shaoxiong Ji <shaoxiong...@outlook.com> by July
31st, 2024. After that, the positions will remain open until filled. We will
consider applications as soon as they are submitted.
Join us in making a real-world impact on mental health through the power of AI
and NLP!