The Institute of Artificial Intelligence invites applications for the position
of a

  DOCTORAL OR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (M/F/D)
  ON THE TOPIC OF NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING (NLP) FOR SOCIAL GOOD
  (SALARY SCALE 13 TV-L, 100%)

starting in September 2024 or soon afterwards. The position is limited to a
period of three years with the possibility of extension.

TASKS
The goal of the offered position is to carry out innovative research on NLP,
aiming for scientific publications at reputed international venues. The
research should involve LARGE LANGUAGE MODELS (LLMs) related to NLP FOR SOCIAL
GOOD. We support the development of own research directions in this broad
context.

The position also comes with a teaching duty of four hours per week; the
candidate is expected to lead tutorials and/or programming labs as well as to
support the supervision of bachelor's and master’s students.

We are looking for highly motivated candidates with a passion for creativity
and learning who seek to make a positive impact through open and independent
research in a young team.

YOUR PROFILE
  - Completed academic degree (Master or comparable) in computer science,
computational linguistics, artificial intelligence, or related disciplines
  - Solid understanding of machine learning with hands-on experience, ideally
in the context of NLP and LLMs
  - Proficient programming skills in Python
  - Good scientific writing skills (for example, shown by a very good master’s
thesis) are expected
  - Strong communication skills in English, both in oral and in written form

TEAM
The position will be placed in the NLP Group at the Institute of Artificial
Intelligence. We are a diverse and international team, studying how humans
express their views and intentions in language, and how LLMs can understand and
create such language in a fair, trustworthy, and explainable way.

Our research tackles interdisciplinary questions from the humanities and social
sciences, while building on state-of-the-art NLP techniques, such as
instruction fine-tuning and contrastive learning. We seek to do cutting-edge
research on artificial intelligence methods that have a positive impact on
society and the world.

OUR OFFER
  - Creative and innovative work in a diverse and international team
  - Possibility to obtain a Ph.D. degree or to shape your Postdoc profile
  - State-of-the-art research facilities, including top-notch computing clusters
  - Participation in international scientific events and research collaborations
  - Salary at the level of 100% of salary scale 13 according to the Collective
Agreement for the Public Service of the Länder (TV-L)

D&I
Leibniz University Hannover considers itself a family-friendly university and
therefore promotes a balance between work and family responsibilities.
Part-time employment can be arranged upon request.

The university aims to promote equality between women and men. For this
purpose, the university strives to reduce under-representation in areas where a
certain gender is under-represented. Women are under-represented in the salary
scale of the advertised position. Therefore, qualified women are encouraged to
apply. Moreover, we welcome applications from qualified men. Preference will be
given to equally-qualified applicants with disabilities.

QUESTIONS
In case you have questions, please contact Maja Stahl (email:
m.st...@ai.uni-hannover.de). Further information about the NLP Group can be
found at: https://www.ai.uni-hannover.de/en/institute/research-groups/nlp

For information on the salary scales, see:
https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner/tv-l/west?id=tv-l-2023&matrix=1

APPLICATION
Please submit your application with supporting documents (including CV, full
set of transcripts, a brief statement of at most 1 page of why you apply to the
NLP Group, and possibly further qualifications) by June 23, 2024 as A SINGLE
PDF FILE to

  Email: off...@ai.uni-hannover.de (subject: “[ai-nlp] Application”)

or alternatively by post to:

  Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover
  Institute of Artificial Intelligence
  Prof. Dr. Henning Wachsmuth
  Welfengarten 1, 30167 Hannover
  Germany
  http://www.uni-hannover.de/jobs

Information on the collection of personal data according to article 13 GDPR can
be found at https://www.uni-hannover.de/en/datenschutzhinweis-bewerbungen/.