We invite the community to participate in a text labelling Shared Task regarding the segmentation of statements in German Easy Language (STaGE), co-located at KONVENS 2024 [1] in Vienna, Austria.

For more information, visit:
https://german-easy-to-read.github.io/statements or https://www.codabench.org/competitions/3244/ [2]

Motivation:
Assessing the complexity of sentences is still an object of ongoing research. One aspect of sentence complexity is the number of statements.

Knowing the different statements conveyed in a sentence is important for numerous NLP tasks, such as extracting the different statements to further simplify the original sentence by separating it into statement-reduced sentences. Another use case is in-depth fact-checking of the isolated statements or the readability evaluation of the text in accordance with Easy Languages guidelines.

However, for German, there exists no implementation to extract statements automatically. Our shared task aims to analyze and annotate the number of statements in German Easy language (DE: "Leichte Sprache") texts. We have decided on German Easy Language, since this language variety recommends the usage of sentences with a reduced number of statements. Therefore, it profits from the results and automated analysis implemented in our task.

Important dates:

        * 14.06.2024: Start evaluation 1st phase: Development
        * 28.06.2024: Start evaluation 2nd phase: Final
        * 12.07.2024: End evaluation (last submissions possible)
        * 12.07.2024: Paper submission due (single-blind)
        * 26.07.2024: Acceptance notification
        * 02.08.2024: Camera-ready due
        * 13.09.2024: Workshop date

Feel free to contact us via stateme...@soc.cit.tum.de

We are looking forward to your participation!

Best regards,
Miriam Anschütz, Thorben Schomacker & Regina Stodden

Links:
------
[1] https://konvens-2024.univie.ac.at/
[2] https://www.codabench.org/competitions/3244/