2005/12/19, J. W. Love <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Alex wrote:
> I need some assistance with learning the parts of speech and verbals.
> Also, I need some help with finding them (the eight parts of speech and
> verbals) in sentences. Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Here's an example. I'd like to know if it is right.
>
> Bill (subject) is going (verb) to (prep.) the (article) store (noun..
OK so far.
It isn't OK.
Parts of speech: Bill (noun, proper) is (verb) going (participle) to (preposition) the (article) store (noun)
Sentence parts: Bill (subject) is going (predicate) to the store (adverbial of place)
> nom. case (used as pred. nom.);
Not in Latin it wouldn't be: a noun governed by a preposition will be
in an oblique case.
> it is nueter for gener and singular in number).
Depends on which Latin word for 'store' you're using: if it's
<apotheca> or <cella penuaria>, it's feminine; if it's <thesaurus>,
it's masculine; if it's <cellarium>, <promptuarium>, <receptaculum>, or
<repositorium>, it's neuter.
