Hi, Bob --

Please direct University of Michigan specific questions to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]  With that said, although you
couch your questions in U-M specific terms below, it is really a generic
question.

The short answer to your question is that your PHP web application
should not do any redirects.  Everything will be taken care of for you
by the cosign filter that you install on your web server (in the case of
PHP running under Apache HTTPD, this would be mod_cosign that you would
install and configure).  The only thing your code will need to do is to
check the value of the REMOTE_USER environment variable in order to
learn the authenticated user's identity.

More specifically, when a user hits a URI that you have designated (in
your Apache HTTPD configuration) as being cosign-protected, the cosign
filter will automatically redirect them to your institution's central
weblogin server, authenticate them, and then redirect them back to the
URL that they were originally trying to visit.

Instructions on how to build, install, and configure the cosign filter
for Apache HTTPD, including a U-M specific configuration example, are
available here:
http://webapps.itcs.umich.edu/cosign/index.php/Cosign_Wiki:CosignInstallation#Building_and_Installing_the_Filter

Please let us know (or use one of the other email addresses above) if
you have any questions.

                Mark Montague
                ITCS Web/Database Production Team
                The University of Michigan