Hi, Chris,

Yes, you are correct:  a client (such as a web browser or a command-line
Subversion client) has to implement redirection in order to be used with
cosign.

But, redirection alone is not enough.  The client also has to be able to
handle cookies.  And keep in mind that unless you took the cookies from
a running web browser where the user already authenticated via cosign,
the client will be redirected to the central weblogin server which will
provide a login page for the user to provide their user name and
password on.  So the client should support HTML forms and the HTTP POST
method, and should also provide some way to display content and get a
username and password from a user.

In other words, for a client to use cosign, it has to meet many of the
basic feature requirements for a web browser.

These requirements are not unique to cosign -- Shibboleth, PubCookie,
and other systems also share these same requirements.

If you want to implement "single sign on" authentication for a command
line client that does not implement redirection, cookies, user input,
etc., then I suggest either Kerberos plus SPNEGO over HTTP, or,
alternatively, X.509 client certificates (PKI).   cosign has at least
basic support for both SPNEGO and X.509 -- if the client has a Kerberos
ticket or X.509 certificate which satisfies the factor requirements of
the cosign-protected service, the central cosign weblogin server will
accept them and the user will not be prompted for their username and
password.   (However, the University of Michigan does not currently have
SPNEGO or X.509 enabled on its production weblogin servers; contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have a need for them).

I have no idea if the Subversion command line client supports either
SPNEGO or X.509, but, if it did not, you could always add support for
them and submit patches back to the Subversion project.

I hope this helps.  And, hopefully, other people will also chime in with
their ideas and suggestions.

                Mark Montague
                ITCS Web/Database Production Team
                The University of Michigan