I wrote a couple months ago about this problem and got no answer, so I
worked around it, however someone else has now contacted me with it so I
guess it is time to try again and see if anyone has any suggestions.

In the apache ssl error log, I am getting " access to / failed, reason:
verification of user id '<null>' not configured "

I get this when trying to use a "satisfy any" clause in an htaccess
file. Straight cosign works fine. This morning I just tried all three
versions, 1.9.4b, 2.0.2a, 2.1.0rc1 and get the same error. When I do
this with basic auth it works fine. Upped logging to debug level and
nothing that looks relevant.

This is a RHEL 5.2 system with apache 2.2. The other gentleman who
contacted me is running Scientific Linux 5.2.

cosign config in ssl vhost:

CosignHostname <host1>
CosignRedirect https://<host1>/
CosignPostErrorRedirect https://<host1>/post_error.html
CosignService <host2>
CosignCrypto /etc/pki/tls/private/local.key /etc/pki/tls/certs/local.crt
/etc/pki/tls/certs

CosignProtected Off

.htaccess file:

Satisfy any
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
CosignProtected On
AuthType Cosign
require valid-user

This used to work in apache 2.0 and 1.3 so I am guessing apache actually
changed something, but I have had no success so far finding any answers.
If there is any other info I can provide that would aid in
troubleshooting this, I would be happy to provide it.

-John

--

Systems Administrator
http://www.vmhost.psu.edu