On March 1, 2012 8:15 , Louis Englund <lengl...@umich.edu> wrote:
> We (LSA) are seeing some issues with the CoSign Authentication
> response time.  There are no errors to report, but when accessing a
> CoSign protected site/page, the response time during the "Web login"
> process can take around 60 seconds before you are authenticated and
> passed through.  We first started noticing this around Monday of this
> week.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?  The CoSign test login server does not
> seem to have the delay issue that we can tell.

Hi, Louis,

You'll probably want to start by asking the people who administer the
central weblogin servers at your institution.  Since you're at the
University of Michigan, I happen to know that you can reach your central
weblogin server administrators at cos...@umich.edu.

Include as much information in your report as possible.  For example:

- Does this happen with only some cosign-protected web servers, or all?
If only some, list which ones.

- Does this happen with all users, or only some?

- Does this happen with all web browsers and operating systems, or only
some?

- Does it make a different as to whether a user has previously
authenticated to the central weblogin servers, or is unauthenticated and
is asked to authenticate when they access the cosign protected web server?

- If the slowness is when accessing a cosign-protected web server that
you run, which cosign filter is it running, and which version, under
what version of what web server?  Include any other relevant
configuration about the web server, including any log entries,
suspicious system statistics, etc.

And, most importantly...

- What requests is your web browser issuing, at what times, and what
times?   This will show you where the slowness is and allow you and the
central weblogin server administrators to start looking in the right
place.  The Firefox add-on "Live HTTP Headers" can gather this
information for you.  Safari's Web Inspector might also be able to do
it.  And there should be a way to achieve a similar result in Microsoft
Internet Explorer, too.

I hope this helps.

--
   Mark Montague