---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hughes, James J. <james.hug...@trincoll.edu>
Date: Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Subject: [tt] Brains made from carbon nanotubes
To: t...@postbiota.org

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=112947&org=NSF

Synthetic Brains

Researchers study the feasibility of brains made from carbon nanotubes

Researchers are building mathematical models that accurately reflect
neuron connections.

January 27, 2009

Synthetic brains are a long way from reality, but researchers at the
University of Southern California, funded by the National Science
Foundation, are taking the first steps to build neurons from carbon
nanotubes that emulate human brain function.

"At this point we still don't know if building a synthetic brain is
feasible," said Alice Parker, professor of electrical engineering. "It
may take decades to realize anything close to the human brain but
emulating pieces of the brain, such as a synthetic vision system or
synthetic cochlea that interface successfully with a real brain may be
available quite soon, and synthetic parts of the brain's cortex within
decades."

The challenges to creating a synthetic brain are staggering. Unlike
computer software that simulates brain function, a synthetic brain will
include hardware that emulates brain cells, their amazingly complex
connectivity and a concept Parker calls "plasticity," which allows the
artificial neurons to learn through experience and adapt to changes in
their environment the way real neurons do.

There is also the matter of scale. By 2022, with conventional
technology, if the team could construct a synthetic brain that emulated
real brain function, even crudely, it would take 100 billion artificial
neurons and a very a large room to hold them.

"Obviously the technology will have to be downsized to aid a human being
or be feasible as a robot brain," Parker said. Power is another
consideration. The power requirements for a synthetic brain are
staggering because a human brain never turns off. "In a transistor
things are on or off so it's a black-or-white situation, but in the
brain there are also many shades of gray and power is continuously being
consumed," Parker noted.

But before the researchers can tackle concerns of power and scale, they
are building mathematical models that accurately reflect the Byzantine
connections of all the neurons and demonstrate how the connections allow
neurons to communicate with each other.

Each neuron in the cortex--a part of the brain that contributes
significantly to conscious thought and intelligence--is connected to
tens of thousands of other neurons. The researchers are also
implementing the complex computations carried out by each neuron on all
the inputs it receives from other neurons.

"It's a nonlinear phenomenon and almost impossible to model but that's
what we're attempting to do," Parker said.

The researchers have shown that portions of a neuron can be modeled
electronically using carbon nanotube circuit models and have performed
detailed simulations of the circuit models. A single archetypical
neuron, including excitatory and inhibitory synapses, has been modeled
electronically and simulated. Parker and her co-researcher Chongwu Zhou
are in the process of combining these circuit models of neurons to
create a functional carbon nanotube circuit model of a small network of
neurons. This small network of interconnected neurons will be simulated
using the carbon nanotube models. This network demonstrates an
interesting neural circuit that detects moving edges in a selected
direction.

Parker believes carbon nanotubes are an ideal material to emulate brain
function because their three-dimensional structure allows connectivity
in all directions on all planes and because a carbon-based prosthesis is
less likely to be rejected by the human body than one made from
inorganic materials. But their invasive nature could result in them
invading surrounding tissue and prompting lesions and cancers.

"It's a possibility and something else that needs to be addressed for
the technology to be feasible," Parker said.

As the researchers move ahead with their mathematical modeling and
neuron construction, beginning with a single synapse, they ponder
"plasticity," neuroscientists' term for the brain's ability to learn and
adapt to change. "Our brains can grow new neurons and the synapses
between them in an hour--a remarkable biological feature that is
difficult to emulate from an engineering perspective," Parker said.

Emulating such plasticity in a synthetic brain will require a major leap
in technology, similar to the leap from cathode ray tubes to
transistors. "We don't know what the new technology will look like yet,
but it will be a technology that can self-assemble and reshape itself.
As we work in the lab building neurons or constructing mathematical
models, we must consider the requirement of plasticity, even if we don't
yet know what it looks like."

Aside from the daunting technological challenges, a synthetic brain or
brain components will also raise ethical and environmental issues. The
role of emotions in learning are just beginning to be understood, and it
appears they are incredibly important to brain function.

"Based on what I know right now, emotions would have to be included for
a synthetic brain to be able to learn," Parker said. "It's important to
understand their cause and effect."

--      Diane E. Banegas, (703) 292-8070 dbane...@nsf.gov

Investigators
Alice Parker
Chongwu Zhou

Related Institutions/Organizations
University of Southern California

Locations
California

Related Awards
#0726815 Biomimetic Cortical Nanocircuits

Total Grants
$359,996