Len, Dave,

I owe you an apology for not acknowledging all of the great information you
gave me on John and Martha (McCleir) Chambers, her brother Sir Thomas McClear,
and John’s sister Margaret Lynch.  I was so exited I immediately shared all of
this with my sister.

 As I mentioned, I have lots of documents that show Mary Ann Chambers was the
daughter of John and Martha.  Mary Ann and Thomas are both buried in the
Green-wood cemetery in NYC (but then again, it is a huge cemetery)
I am still trying to find documented proof that John and Martha are Thomas
Chambers(1823)  parents.  So far I only have documentation that my cousin’s
father had written up.  Everything else I got from him checks out, but I still
need something that proves this.  So, I am trying every angle I can think of to
establish that as a fact.  That is why I brought up the possible connection
with Eliza Keily death in Strabane.  Namely since Thomas’ wife’s name was Anna
Keily.

In the Obit for Sir Thomas McClear, it says “he began his medical studies in
Newtownstewart under Dr. Rodgers, father of the late John Rodgers, Esq, J.P.,
of Glennock Cottage.  At the age of sixteen he left Newtownstewart and
completed his medical studies in Portsmouth, in England under his uncle Thomas
McGrath, M.D., brother of Sir George McGrath.”

If Sir Thomas McClear was indeed his uncle, I figure Thomas may have followed a
similar path.  I contacted the University of Portsmouth, and they said that
they didn’t have a full degree then, but they would continue to look more to
see if Thomas studied there.
I have also contacted the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh but am still
waiting to hear from them.  As you may recall, Thomas established a Pharmacy in
NYC shortly after arriving there.  So it seems reasonable that he received his
training before he emigrated to the USA.

I am also trying to check out leads in the USA.  If you have any great insights
they are always appreciated!!

Thanks again.  You guys are great!

Tom Chambers