Hello Katherine,

Your query has taken much time to research, but I believe it has now been
solved. The DUNWAIST recorded in the Longfield West Parish 1826 tithe
applotment book is the same location recorded as DUNWEST in Samuel Lewis’
Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837). It is common to find townlands and
subdenominations spelt phonetically in the tithe applotment books; in an era
when many folk could neither read nor write, this was a common occurrence.

You may wish to refer to:

Library Ireland https://www.libraryireland.com/

Topographical Dictionary of Ireland – Samuel Lewis (1837)

Parish of Langfield West
https://www.libraryireland.com/topog/L/Langfield-West-Omagh-Tyrone.php

“The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 29,906¾ statute acres,
of which 176 are water, and about 6,700 are mountain and bog. The mountains
afford good pasturage for cattle and sheep, and their declivities are in a
state of progressive cultivation; a great portion of the bog is also being
rapidly reclaimed, and the system of agriculture is fast improving. In DUNWEST
are extensive beds of coal in three strata, all easy of access; and though at
every flood large masses are detached by the river Poe [The POE, (or Fairy
Water), a stream of the county of Tyrone, Ireland, rises near Castlederg, and
falls into the Strule near Omagh], and carried down the stream, no attempt yet
has been made to work them: coal of very good quality is also found in other
parts of the parish”.

LONGFIELD WEST TITHE APPLOTMENT BOOK (1826)

DUNWAIST

BARTON

John

BLEANEY

John

BOOTH

James

BOOTH

John

BOYD

[?]

DARCY

John

DOUGHERTY

James

GALLICE

Frank

GALLICE

Patt

GALLICE

Phelix

GALLICE

Redmond

McAREE

John

McCANNEY

Frank, reps of the late

McCANNEY

James

McCANNEY

John

McELHOLM

Rodger

McILHILL

Andrew & partners

McILHOLOM

Rodger

McMENAMIN

Owen

MEGLAGHLIN

Neil

MONTGOMERY

Hutsin [Hustin/ Hudson?]

MONTGOMERY

John

O’NEIL

Henery

PATTEN

James

PATTEN

John & son George

QUIGLEY

Andrew

REED

James

REED

John

STUT

George

STUT

John

DUNWAIST/ DUNWEST is not recorded in Griffiths Valuation which indicates that
it has disappeared and been renamed. A comparison of the family names listed in
both the TAB and Griffiths finds these families holding leases in the adjoining
townlands of SLOUGHAN and BILLARY. Given that these records are a whole
generation apart and the effects of large scale emigration during and post
Famine, many of the families remained in these townlands. Also, neither
Sloughan nor Billary are recorded in the tithe applotment book. Another point
is that the Fairy Water flows along the southern boundary of Sloughan (the site
of the deposits of coal).

GRIFFITHS VALUATION, LONGFIELD WEST (c1860)

SLOUGHAN TOWNLAND

GILLEESE

Owen

GILLEESE

Patrick

MANSFIELD

Rev. Geo. D.

McCANEY

Catherine

McCANEY

James

McCANEY

William

McCORMACK

Hugh

McELHILL

James

McELHILL

Mary

McELHILL

Michael

McELHOLM

Felix

McMENAMIN

Hugh

McMENAMIN

Owen

MEEHAN

James

MITCHELL

James, Jun.

MITCHELL

James, Sen

REID

James

WALKER

David

WINTERS

Edward

WINTERS

John

BILLARY TOWNLAND

GILLEESE

James

GILLEESE

Owen, Jun.

GILLEESE

Owen, Sen.

GILLEESE

Sarah

GILLESE

Owen

GILLESE

Simon

HEALY

Michael

McLOUGHLIN

John

MONTGOMERY

Richard

MOORE

John

POOLE

Edward

QUIGLEY

John

SCOTT

Robert

STUTT

Archibald

STUTT

George, Sen

STUTT

George, Jun.

It was not uncommon for townlands found in TABs to be renamed and
subdenominations to just disappear in the thirty year period of the 1820s-50s;
I have transcribed 43 tithe applotment books for Co. Tyrone,  20 for Co.
Donegal and 12 for Co. Londonderry and am continually surprised and intrigued.
Nothing is straightforward.

I hope this has been helpful to your research; you did not share with the List,
which of the leaseholders was your forebear – was it John/ Andrew Quigley?

All the best with your research,

Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia