Hello Karen,

CTI’s webmaster, Jim McKane is not a researcher, and I do not have free time to
undertake searches for folk (life, work and transcription of documents for CTI
https://www.cotyroneireland.com/ consume my time). However, I must respond to
your mistaken assertion that I claimed that John Stevenson had Donegal origins.

As with most Irish family research, it is essential to locate all data
surviving at the country and port of arrival; Irish records are scant for the
years prior to the Great Famine (1845-9). Huge numbers emigrated leaving no
record of their lives in Ireland.

I recall assisting a Canadian researcher many years ago whose Stevenson (John)
forebear was a builder in Strabane, but he was located in Lifford, Co. Donegal
– across the River Foyle from the town.

Have you ascertained the estimated year of emigration of John Stevenson?

Have you searched JOHN STEVENSON and MARGARET BAIRD in the 1841 and 1851
Canadian censuses? Have you been successful? I have no recollection of stating
that your forebears hailed from Co. Donegal in response to your original query
of August 2016. I did suggest you contact the historical society in Fitzroy,
Ontario where considerable research has been undertaken on original settler
families, several with origins in Donagheady parish in north Co. Tyrone. What
has this produced? Also, further research has been undertaken by others which
may be useful.

I also recall Desmond Gourley submitting an article (including names of all
Fitzroy families with Tyrone origins extracted from the 1851 Canadian census)
to an edition of “North Irish Roots” (NIFHS) in 1995 publicising his research
into the numbers of Tyrone-born families within the settlement; he subsequently
contacted me seeking data on the same folk and the possibility that they had
Donagheady origins. Indeed many of these family names were found in the 1858
Griffiths Valuation of Donagheady including the names Arbuckle and Towers (both
rather rare in Ireland) and subsequently a Walker researcher confirmed that her
forebears were also from Donagheady. Bairds and Stevensons were rather prolific
within the parish. There appears to have been an enthusiastic emigration agent
operating in the parish. Please refer to the online 1858 Donagheady Griffiths
Valuation on CTI https://www.cotyroneireland.com/griffith/donagheady.html

Regrettably, a comprehensive tithe applotment book for Donagheady has not
survived, but a fragment is available for viewing (again on CTI)
https://www.cotyroneireland.com/tithe/donagheadytithe.html which contains both
Stevenson and Baird entries.

Have just taken a look at the online 1851 Canadian census
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/1851.aspx and found the family
of John Stevenson and Margaret Baird, although she stated at that time that she
was a native of Co. Tyrone which is at odds with your assertion that she was
born in Londonderry (considering the close proximity, I am prepared to accept
that she is the same person). I note that their neighbours were Kilgores,
another name recorded in the parish (four entries).

John Stevenson stated that his family were member of the Church of England; the
Donagheady Parish registers (Church of Ireland) have survived (with quite some
gaps) and have been microfilmed by the staff of the Public Records Office of
Ireland (PRONI), Belfast, where they may be consulted. Until very fairly
recently these records (and many others relevant to Donagheady and Leckpatrick
parishes) were available online via the Bready Ancestry website, but
astonishingly, website has shut down; Jim McKane has attempted to ascertain the
survival and future availability of this data but has been met with silence.

C.I. DONAGHEADY (DERRY DIOCESE) Baptisms, 1697-1723, 1753-65, 1818-19 and
1826-74; marriages, 1697-1726, 1754-64 and 1826-44; marriage licences, 1817 and
1829-53; burials, 1698-1726, 1754-57 and 1826-89; vestry minutes, 1697-1723 and
17541919; accounts, 1829-1922; confirmation lists, 1872,1875, 1877, 1880, 1883
and 1886
My response has become quite a document, which was not my intention, but as I
progressed, it became obvious that there is data available, albeit in various
forms and locations. Again, I suggest that you consult the historical society
in Fitzroy and enquire the extent of further research into pioneer families.
Good luck, Karen.

Regards,

Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia