> convenience of one file on disk per database is gone, but is there
anything else

There were serious issues with single node shards (or whatever those pieces
were) during upgrade from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1. I read only brief report, but
remember it completely broken tests in some bizzare way, like inability to
save docs with particular _id ranges.

> could you unveil this secret, please?

There’s nothing secret here, theoretically you have to insert two oneliners
into chttpd_auth and then rebuild. Obvious task for end user )

-export([proxy_authentication_handler/1]).
and
proxy_authentication_handler(Req) ->
couch_httpd_auth:proxy_authentication_handler(Req, chttpd_auth_cache).

But as I can recollect it also finally broke things in some bizzare way.

ermouth