Did you ask the A&P how happy TCM is about burning fuel that has 4 times
the
lead content of what the original spec was?


----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Couper's Page" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 8:41 PM
Subject: [COUPERS] Auto gas


> With the recent postings on using auto gas in your Ercoupe, I've become
> a little concerned.  So, I stopped by a neighboring airport, whose A&P I
> have a lot of confidence in, and posed the question to him.  His advise
> was don't use it.  He said auto fuel was okay years ago when it had lead
> and didn't have all the addatives.  He pulled out Continental's manual
> and showed me what Continental says about car gas:
> "USE OF AUTOMOTIVE FUEL IN TCM AIRCRAFT ENGINES"
>
> TCM does not recommend or authorize the use of automotive fuels in any
> of their aircraft engines.  The engine warranty and pro rata policy will
> be voided if such fuels are utilized.  Fuels must conform to ASTM-D910
> or MIL-G5572E, if satisfactory engine service life is anticipated.
>
> Automotive fuels can contain additives that act as corrosive agents,
> formulate gum deposits and, therefore, increase combustion chamber
> deposits.  Continued operation on automotive fuel can lead to
> detonation, pre-ignition and sticking or eroded valves.
>
> The vapor pressure of automotive fuels exceeds that allowable for
> aviation fuels.  This increased vapor pressure increases the tendency to
> vapor lock at higher altitudes.  A vapor lock condition can cause
> complete power loss.
>
> The use of any fuel that not conform to the above specifications may
> cause cylinder assembly, valve, piston and/or piston ring
> damage/failure.
>
> The mechanic also mentioned the deterioration of o-rings, gaskets, etc.
> He suggested using 100LL and adding either AV Blend or Marvel Mystery
> Oil to the fuel.  I've only burned about two tanks full of auto gas, so
> I guess I'll drain what's in it, fill it with 100LL and add some AV
> Blend.  Looks like I wasted money on the auto gas STC.  He says the
> ideal to burn would be 80 octain av gas.
>
> EBaumgardner N87172.


__________________________________________________________________________
______
To unsubscribe from this list please send
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
___________________________________________________________
T O P I C A  The Email You Want. http://www.topica.com/t/16
Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Your Favorite Topics

<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to