I'm on OpenBSD 3.9 with qmail + vpopmail and am trying to get courier-imap working. I had this setup before, but am reinstalling due to a HD failure.

So far it looks like libvpopmail is not being recognized. I don't know why. When I look in my config.log nothing jumps out at me. I would love to send my whole config.log but I tried that, it is too big. So I dug into it to see if it had anything that would help. First here is the ./configure settings:

 ./configure --with-authvchkpw --without-authdaemon --without-authcustom --without-authcram --without-authuserdb --without-authshadow --without-authpwd --enable-ltdl-install=no MAKE=gmake LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

There is an error associated with PQsetdbLogin which is fine because I don't have PostgreSQL installed.

There is an error associated with mysql_connect with again is fine becuase I don't want to use mysql for authentication.

There is an error checking for crypt.h. OpenBSD doesn't seem to have a crypt.h. I did a find from / and nothing was found. Related to this libcrypt was not found when linking to -lcrypt.

The following variables are set. They all have the correct locations.
CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include/mysql -pipe -I/var/vpopmail/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -I.. -I./..'
VPOPMAILLIBS='-L/var/vpopmail/lib -lvpopmail  '
vpopmail_home='/var/vpopmail'

I ran the ./configure and make again to capture the error message from libtool about libvpopmal. The message pops up when linking libauthvchkpw.la in .../courier-authlib-0.58/liblog

Here it is:
Compiling authvchkpw.c
authvchkpw.c: In function `auth_vchkpw_changepass':
authvchkpw.c:142: warning: passing arg 1 of `parse_email' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
Compiling authvchkpwlib.c
Compiling preauthvchkpw.c
preauthvchkpw.c: In function `auth_vchkpw_pre':
preauthvchkpw.c:67: warning: passing arg 1 of `parse_email' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
preauthvchkpw.c:141: warning: passing arg 3 of `vset_lastauth' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
Linking libauthvchkpw.la
*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lvpopmail.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libvpopmail and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /var/vpopmail/lib/libvpopmail.a
*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module libauthvchkpw.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

I don't know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.