On Wed, November 15, 2006 22:23, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:10:02PM +0100, Francis Galiegue wrote:
>
> Try running them as:
>
>   sh -x /path/to/script
>
> which should show you what they are doing. Or, put
>
> #!/bin/sh
> set -x
>
> at the top of the script(s) you are interested in debugging.

Well, I've tried this already, hence my "failed silently".

> Given that these are not courier's standard scripts, you could also
> compare
> the pop3{,-ssl} scripts to the imapd{,-ssl} scripts to see if there's
> anything obviously different.

Will do.

>>                 /usr/lib/courier-imap/courier-pop3d.indirect ${MAILDIR}
>
> I have absolutely no idea what that is. Is it a script? If so, stick "set
> -x" at the top of it. Is it a binary? If so, then who knows what gentoo
> have
> done.

Now at least I know this is not a standard Courier program :) OK, I'll try
and see what this file is all about.

>> First thing, how do I obtain logs? Not having any is really troublesome
>> when you look into debugging what happens... And, well, the available
>> documentation is of no help.
>
> courier's own scripts work just fine. If gentoo has given you their own
> broken scripts, you know who to complain to :-)

Indeed. But, what about the configuration files? Is there anything
uncommon that could bring another light to the problem at hand?

Thank you for your insights,
--
Francis Galiegue, fg (at) one2team [dot] com
One2team - 12bis rue de la Pierre Levée, 75011 PARIS