Hi Brian,

> > I am running courier-imap on some very large systems.
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
>
> Exactly what version of courier-imap? On exactly what systems?

Sorry for not providing the full info at the beginning. I looked
before mailing at the code and found it used off_t, which is 32 bit on
my systems. Below are 2 setups in production; both of them have 32-bit
off_t:
   SLES 9 / courier-imap 4.0.6 / vpopmail delivery
   SLES 8 / courier-imap 4.0.6 / custom delivery

> > 1. The limit for a mailbox is 2 GB. Do you plan on increasing the
> > limit in a future version of courier-imap?
>
> (1) You won't have this problem on 64-bit systems
>
> (2) You shouldn't have this problem on 32-bit systems with a 64-bit off_t,
>     if you are running courier-imap-4.1.2
>
> If your platform only has a 32-bit off_t, then it does not support files
> over 2GB. It makes it very difficult for courier-imap (or any other program
> in fact) to support quotas over 2GB in a portable way. And even if
> courier-imap did manage to make this work, it probably wouldn't work for
> other programs which deliver into your maildir (such as exim)

I am aware that I have to patch all the programs that use quota
(vpopmail, custom software, qmail, aso). I was wondering if you plan
to add support for non 64-bit off_t systems. To implement maildir
quota in a sane way, I plan on writing a shared library for maildir
quota support.

> > 2. For IMAP users having a large number of emails or for very busy
> > servers, it takes a long time to scan all files in a directory. So an
> > indexing of the information exchanged by the IMAP server and client
> > before requesting messages is very useful beyond a certain point. Do
> > you plan on having this feature in the future?
>
> courier-imap already indexes message headers. However it cannot control what
> commands IMAP clients send to it, and some IMAP clients are very stupid; for
> example if there are 10,000 messages in the folder they will send 10,000
> separate commands to look at them.
>
> So, if you have a specific problem case that you wish to demonstrate, then
> capture the IMAP commands sent from the client to the server (e.g. using
> tcpdump tcp port 143, or set IMAPDEBUGFILE=log.txt in the imapd config file,
> which will record all commands received into log.txt within the maildir).
> And also post a summary of the contents of the maildir.

Thank you, I'll get back with info on this topic.

Regards,
Iulian