Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
Sorry Jay, after I hit Send I thought I missed that...

Here is goes:
/dev/md1         swap             swap        defauls          0   0

Don't do that, why do you need your swap partition to be redundant? Even RAID0 doesn't make sense here since the kernel will be more efficient managing 2 swap partitions of equal priority (while effectively splitting up the data).

/dev/md2         /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1

OK.

/dev/md0         /boot            reiserfs    defaults         1   2

I'm not sure this will work, I don't believe grub or lilo can read software raid arrays...

/dev/md3         /var             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
/dev/md4         /ico             reiserfs    defaults         1   2

All RAID-1.
The rest of the SATA drive is unused (not partitioned yet).

OK, makes sense. Performance wise, I believe the RAID speed will be dragged down to that of the SATA drive for writing (since the kernel will have to wait on the SATA drive even while the SAS drive is finished). For reading, I believe there will be some improvements as the SAS drive should report back faster. Again, I've not actually tested any of this myself and certainly wouldn't try this on a server whose data I really valued....

Jay

--
Jay Lee
Network/Systems Administrator

begin:vcard
fn:Jay Lee
n:Lee;Jay
org:Philadelphia Biblical University;Information Technology Department
adr;dom:;;;Langhorne, PA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network/Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-html:TRUE